Superfood Encrusted Baked French Toast
- Multi-grain bread, unsliced (gluten-free also works just fine)
- 2 cups of High Protein Breakfast Superfood
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 orange
- 6-7 basil leaves, shredded
- Optional: maple syrup
Some mornings, treating yourself to something warm, comforting, and sweet feels irresistible - especially when it comes to baked French toast. Delicious, delectable, and homely, this European indulgence feels like self-care for your soul. Our take on healthy French toast is self-care for your body (and mind) too. Packed with delicious superfoods, it’s a nourishing, gentle start to the day that’s sweet but won’t give you a sugar crash a few hours later.
Our High Protein Breakfast will keep your energy levels high and help you go for longer. Unlike carbohydrates, protein takes a long time to break down in the body, releasing energy over a long period of time – making it perfect for a healthy breakfast.
Protein is essential for repairing and building tissues in the body, but it’s very easy to eat too little protein in your diet. According to the Dietary Reference Intake report for macronutrients, a sedentary adult should consume 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Although most people eat enough protein to avoid deficiency, many individuals would benefit from a much higher protein intake.
Eating protein has a host of benefits – it:
Increases muscle mass and strength
Improves bone health, including helping you retain bone mass as you age
Lowers blood pressure, bad cholesterol, and triglycerides,
Helps maintain weight loss
Helps you to repair yourself after injury and stay fit as you age.
Additionally, eating a high protein breakfast (such as this amazingly healthy French toast) has been shown to:
Benefit muscle health
Support weight loss by increasing muscle mass, energy expenditure, satiety hormones glucose regulation, and decreasing desire to snack at night
Improve the body's response to a high-carbohydrate food by improving blood sugar control and insulin levels.
This delicious baked French toast is the perfect way to incorporate healthy protein into your breakfast and leave you packed with nutrients and energized for the day ahead. We think you’ll love it.
Recipe And Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Whisk together the eggs and milk until well combined.
2. Spread two cups of High Protein Superfood on a tray and spread it out evenly.
3. Cut bread into pieces about 2 cm thick and trim the crusts off. Soak the bread in the eggs and milk. Press it down lightly to make sure it sponges up more egg and milk.
4. Gently, transfer the wet bread to the tray of superfood and cover all sides until covered.
6. Place on the wire rack then bang into the oven for 15 mins. You’ll know it’s done by pressing on the bread- it’ll be a bit more firm, almost springy, and the crust will have darkened a bit. 5. Meanwhile, halve your bananas lengthwise and fry in a lightly greased pan skin-side down. I flip them when the skin has turned black. Cook on the flesh side for another 2-3 minutes.
7. Finally, for your orange salad, peel the orange and lose the pith. Diced into random shapes, then toss with the shredded basil leaves. ENJOY! Skin the bananas and serve under the French toast, with the salad on the side. You can drizzle with maple syrup if you like, but the banana and orange should be sweet enough.